Todd Sorensen's Webpage
I am currently an Assistant professor at UNR, where I joined in 2014. Before that, I was an Assistant professor at UC Riverside from 2007 to 2014. I completed my PhD at the University of Arizona in 2007, supervised by Ronald Oaxaca and Price Fishback.
The best way to contact me is through my email
I am a labor economist. My two main areas of research are imperfect competition in labor markets, immigration and the intersection of these two issues. My favorite part of being an academic is the ability it affords me to travel; I have now presented my research at universities in 15 countries.
For more information about my research, please see the following sites
- "Monopsony in Labor Markets: A Meta-Analysis." With Anna Sokolova. Revise and Resubmit at ILR Review.
- "Monopsony Power and Guest Worker Programs". With Eric Gibbons, Allie Greenman and Peter Norlander. Under review at Antitrust Bulletin for special edition on Monopsony.
- "Government Cheese: A Case Study of Price Supports". With Katherine Lacy and Eric Gibbons. Under review at new AAEA journal Applied Economics Teaching Resources.
- "Bounds with Imperfect Instruments: Leveraging the Implicit Assumption of Intransitivity in Correlations". With Nathan Wiseman. IZA Discussion Paper 10646.
- "Changing Sex-Ratios Among Immigrant Communities in the USA". With Adriana Hernandez Castaneda. The Journal of Economics, Race, and Policy. Volume 2: 20-42, June 2019..
- "21st Century Slowdown: The Historic Nature of Recent Declines in the Growth of the Immigrant Population in the United States". Migration Letters, July 2018, Volume 15(3): 409-422.
- "The Implicit Costs of Motherhood Over the Lifecycle: Cross-Cohort Evidence from Administrative Longitudinal Data". Southern Economic Journal, October 2017, Volume 84(3): 716-733.
- "Do Firms' Wage-Setting Powers Increase during Recessions?". IZA World of Labor, April 2017.
- "Inter-Firm Mobility and Return Migration Patterns of Skilled Guest Workers". With Briggs Depew and Peter Norlander. Journal of Population Economics, April 2017, Volume 30(2): 681-721.
- "Mexican Immigrants, Labor Market Assimilation and the Current Population Survey: The Sensitivity of Results across Seeming Equivalent Surveys." With Fernando Lozano. International Migration, November 2015, 53(2): 250-262.
- "On Input Market Frictions and Estimation of Factors Demand". With Arnaud Dupuy. Southern Economic Journal, January 2014, Volume 80(3): 772-781.
- "The Elasticity of Labor Supply to the Firm over the Business Cycle". With Briggs Depew. Labour Economics, October 2013, Volume 24: 196-204.
- "A Laboratory Study of Auctions with a Buy Price". With Yvonne Durham, Matthew Roelofs and Steven Standifird. Economic Inquiry, April 2013, Volume 51: 1357-1373.
- "Do You Receive a Lighter Prison Sentence Because You are a Woman or a White? An Economic Analysis of Federal Criminal Sentencing Guidelines". With Supriya Sarnikar and Ronald Oaxaca. The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy (Contributions), October 2013, Volume 14(1): 1-54.
- "Race and Gender Differences under Federal Sentencing Guidelines". With Supriya Sarnikar and Ronald Oaxaca. American Economics Review (Papers and Proceedings), May 2012, Volume 102(3): 256-260.
- "The Labor Market Effects of Immigration Reform." With Fernando Lozano. Policy Matters, Winter 2011.
- "The Employee Free Choice Act and Its Impact on Workers and the Economy. Multidisciplinary Approaches to Labor Law Reform". With David Fairris and Ellen Reese. UC Berkeley Center for Labor Research and Education. p.8-16., 2009.
- "Kansas in the Great Depression: Work Relief, the Dole and Rehabilitation" by Peter Fearon. Written for EH.net (November, 2007).
- "Hassle Costs, Price-Matching Guarantees and Price Competition: An Experiment." With Subhasish Dugar. Review of Industrial Organization, June 2006, Volume 28(4): 359-378.